What are the signs?
- Changes in mood or behavior - moodiness, depression, anxiety, irritability, withdrawal from family, school or social activities, increased time alone, impulsiveness.
- Changes in school performance and behavior - cuts classes, gets lower grades, loses interest in school or extracurricular activities.
- Changes in friends - no longer associates with friends, reluctant to bring friends home or have you meet them.
- Injuries - falls, bruises, accidents. Any unexplained injury is a serious warning.
- Evidence of paraphernalia - pipes, rolling papers, matches, lighters; inhaling products and accessories, such as hairspray, nail polish remover, paper bags, common household products, or compressed air for cleaning computers.
- Masking products - use of incense, room deodorants or perfume; bottles of eye drops; new use of mouthwash or breath mints.
It is likely that there will be NO visible signs of early experimentation.